SMS is the most excellent source of communication for conveying short messages over long distances. The most well-known issue that almost every phone user experiences and is interlinked with this service is the error 97 SMS origination denied issue, and it appears on your screen when the user attempts to send the SMS to somebody.
Considering how significant it is for the users to rectify this unexpected issue on the smartphone, we’ve illustrated a few reliable fixes below for eliminating this problem.
Related: How To Fix Error 0x0 0x0?
What Triggers The Error 97 SMS Origination Denied Problem?
- 1 What Triggers The Error 97 SMS Origination Denied Problem?
- 2 How To Resolve This Error?
- 2.1 Method#1: Clearing Data & Cache
- 2.2 Method#2: Rebooting Your App
- 2.3 Method#3: Updating The SMS Service Center Number
- 2.4 Method#4: Tweaking The Message Settings
- 2.5 Method#5: Enabling The Premium SMS Access On The Messaging Tool
- 2.6 Method#6: Switching To The Message+ App
- 2.7 Method#7: Performing The Factory Data Restore
- 2.8 Method#8: Power Cycling The Airave Device
- 2.9 Method#9: Contacting The Consumer Support
There’re many causes behind this glitch on the smartphone, but the most common causes for the occurrence of this issue are as follows:
- It’s possible that the SMS app has not been granted the permissions for storage by the device, and it’s preventing it from being capable of properly receiving and sending messages and is, in turn, causing this error.
- You may face this problem if your cache and data aren’t cleared. At times, such can be corrupted, which can direct to the malfunctioning of the SMS app, and it can finish up causing the issue. You can simply remove this SMS Cache and data, and it ought to assist you in fixing this problem.
- If you haven’t updated your SMS service number on the device, you may be receiving this problem. The great thing to do in this regard is to attempt and update your service number as listed in the solutions below to help you resolve this problem.
If you face this issue for the first time, the most efficient solution for getting rid of this issue is to power cycle the device simply.
- Hit and hold the power button of the device until it asks you to Power Off or Reboot your phone.
- Choose Power Off and wait for your phone to shut down completely. Keep your phone powered off for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, take out your device’s battery and insert it back into the device.
- Now, hit and hold the power button until your phone reboots when your phone is started fully, and as soon as it begins sending the SMS and see if the issue persists.
How To Resolve This Error?
Now that you have got a basic understanding of this particular error, we will now move on to the different methods that can be used for resolving it.
Method#1: Clearing Data & Cache
Cache and Data are the files or scripts that store temporary info on the phone. You’ll face this issue if the cache and data have failed to load the appropriate info about the messaging app while attempting to send your message. Hence, as a fix, attempt to clear them and check if the issue is resolved:
- First of all, go to the settings menu of the phone > choose Apps.
- Find the Messages option > choose Storage.
- Now choose both Clear Data and Clear Cache options for clearing them.
- Reboot the device and see if we’ve solved this error.
Method#2: Rebooting Your App
In a few cases, when you open the app, some of its data does not properly load, making it hard for the app to work efficiently. If you’ve faced this particular issue, then there’s a chance that your message app isn’t opened correctly. So, as a fix, reboot your application by simply following these steps:
- First, navigate to the settings menu of the phone > choose Apps.
- Find and open the Message option > tap on Force Stop.
- Next, go to the Message app and open it for automatically enabling it.
- Try to send your SMS again to check if the issue is fixed or not. If the issue still exists, then check out the other method mentioned here.
Method#3: Updating The SMS Service Center Number
SMSC is responsible for routing the SMS messages and for handling your SMS operations of the wireless network. If the phone doesn’t have the SMSC number, then you’ll not be capable of receiving or sending messages. Update the preferred SMSC number on the phone for rectifying this issue.
- First of all, open the Dialer of the phone > enter the *#*#4636#*#* code for opening the Phone Information.
- Now find and choose Phone Information.
- Next, enter the relevant SMSC number in the input box of SMSC > click on Update for updating the SMS service center number.
- Reboot the phone and check if the issue is gone.
Method#4: Tweaking The Message Settings
You’ll face this text message problem while sending a message on the phone if you haven’t permitted your message app to save the data on your phone. So, as a simple workaround, make certain that you have enabled storage in the message settings and check if the issue is gone.
- First, launch the Setting menu of the phone > choose Apps.
- Next, go to Messages > find and choose the Permissions option.
- Now enable Storage by simply tapping on the toggle next to it > see whether the issue is gone.
Method#5: Enabling The Premium SMS Access On The Messaging Tool
The premium SMS is actually a service that can really charge the premium cost to the end-user per SMS sent. If you’re not capable of sending the message from the phone, then simply go to the smartphone settings and enable access to Premium SMS to make certain that this issue gets solved.
- Navigate to the settings menu > choose Apps.
- Find Messages > choose the SMS tool > after that, tap the Premium SMS Access in the Advanced part.
- Tap on the Premium SMS access option > choose Always Allow.
- Check if, by doing this, you’re capable of resolving this problem.
Method#6: Switching To The Message+ App
In the majority of situations, users have stated that switching to some other messaging application and returning to the default message app resolves this problem. So, the fantastic message app you can really switch to is the message application of Verizon. Download that app and check if this error is eliminated.
- First, open Google Play Store on the phone > search for the Verizon Messages application.
- After that, click on Install for downloading this app.
- Then, sign up by simply filling in the credentials, and if this error has been gone by switching to this app, then most probably you would not face this issue in the future even if you go back to the default messaging application of the smartphone.
Method#7: Performing The Factory Data Restore
The Factory Data Restore is actually the feature embedded in almost every mobile device that permits the users to revert the phone to the original factory settings. For rectifying this error, simply attempt to do the factory restore after creating the data backup by simply following these steps:
- First of all, go to the Settings of the phone > scroll down to choose Backup & Reset.
- Choose Backup my data > tap on the toggle button once to enable the option.
- Now choose Factory Data Reset < click on Reset Phone.
Method#8: Power Cycling The Airave Device
Airave is the personal base station that makes use of the broadband Internet connection for providing enhanced 3G mobile broadband and voice coverage. If you still can’t fix the error, then you ought to move the step ahead for power cycling the Airave device if the device is connected to it and check if the issue is gone.
- First, take the plug of the Airave device and the router out of the socket > wait for them to shut down completely.
- Now, simply disconnect the Airave device and your modem by unplugging your Ethernet wire.
- After about 2 minutes, simply insert the router’s plug back into the socket and reboot the router.
- When your router shows full signals, simply insert the Airave’s plug back into the socket and reboot the Airave device.
- Finally, connect your Airave to the router with the help of the Ethernet wire and pick up the device for sending the SMS. Now, see whether the problem is fixed or not.
Method#9: Contacting The Consumer Support
If none of the methods mentioned above assisted you in resolving the error 97 SMS origination denied the problem, then the final option you are really left with is contacting the consumer support of the network provider because there’s a chance that the MMS or SMS isn’t enabled by your network provider. You may face this problem if the IMEI number of the device has been changed caused by some reason. Simply contact them and tell them about the issue. Then the representative will ask you about the IMEI number, and the phone number, etc. and will assist you in resolving the error.
Pro tip: In case you require checking the IMEI number, simply open up the smartphone’s dialer and enter *#06#.